Hello! Please be thinking ahead for the Christmas holidays. Many people like to put up lights and then go out of town for the holidays to spend with family or leave their pets home at home with extra water and food and assume they will be fine for hours without a potty break. Many hazards can happen with lights being on all night. A fire could spark from it either on the outside of your house or the inside. Pets might get bored and start chewing on the holiday wiring. Any number of problems can happen. Please consider having a professional pet sitter look after your home and your beloved fur babies during that time frame. If you have not fur babies, at least do a house check or turn off your lights so people think someone's at home so they don't try and break into your home either. It can a worth the peace of mind especially around the holidays
The holiday season is upon us, and many pet parents plan to include their furry companions in the festivities. As you gear up for the holidays, it is important to try to keep your pet's eating and exercise habits as close to their normal routine as possible. Also, please be sure to steer pets clear of the following unhealthy treats, toxic plants and dangerous decorations.
Be Careful with Seasonal Plants and Decorations
• Oh, Christmas Tree: Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn't tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. This will also prevent the tree water—which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset—from spilling. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea should he imbibe.
• Avoid Mistletoe & Holly: Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet.
• Tinsel-less Town: Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching "toy" that's easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It's best to brighten your boughs with something other than tinsel.
• That Holiday Glow: Don't leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Be sure to use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. And if you leave the room, put the candle out!
• Wired Up: Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws' reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet's mouth and digestive tract.
Avoid Holiday Food Dangers
Skip the Sweets: By now you know not to feed your pets chocolate and anything sweetened with xylitol, but do you know the lengths to which an enterprising pet will go to chomp on something yummy? Make sure to keep your pets away from the table and unattended plates of food, and be sure to secure the lids on garbage cans.
Leave the Leftovers: Fatty, spicy and no-no human foods, as well as bones, should not be fed to your furry friends. Pets can join the festivities in other fun ways that won't lead to costly medical bills.
Careful with Cocktails: If your celebration includes adult holiday beverages, be sure to place your unattended alcoholic drinks where pets cannot get to them. If ingested, your pet could become weak, ill and may even go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.
Selecting Special Treats: Looking to stuff your pet's stockings? Stick with chew toys that are basically indestructible, Kongs that can be stuffed with healthy foods or chew treats that are designed to be safely digestible. Long, stringy things are a feline's dream, but the most risky toys for cats involve ribbon, yarn and loose little parts that can get stuck in the intestines, often necessitating surgery. Surprise kitty with a new ball that's too big to swallow, a stuffed catnip toy or the interactive cat dancer.
So you and your fiancé are planning your wedding, Congrats! That's a huge deal, You're most likely working with a wedding planner or you're doing all the planning yourselves. Either way, its an amazing time you two are having right now. You might have thought of having your pet take part in your wedding in some way or other. You totally should! Your pet is your baby and should have a part, big or small. Whether they play the ring bearer, the best man, a brides maid or just take part in pictures, your pet should be there! Now you're also thinking who should be there to take care of the pet before, during, and after the wedding, or to the reception? Uncle Tom could do it, or cousin Sarah, or how about your best friend from way back when? Stop and think about that. Do you really want to ask them to take care of your pet or shouldn't they be there enjoying the celebration as well? That's why you hire Paws In Good Care to be there caring for your pet. We are professionals who can take care of your pet before, during and after the ceremony and reception. No need to bother anyone who wants to enjoy their time. You'll be glad you hired professionals to care for your baby so you can have a relaxing time at your wedding.
Pet hazards for around the Easter holiday are chocolate for dogs (can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors and possibly seizures). Flowers such as true lilies, Easter lilies and stargazers, are extremely toxic to cats, tulips, daffodils and hyacinths will cause vomiting.
Flowers and plants that cause upset stomachs
(Vomiting, diarrhea, and gas)
The 5 second rule for walking your dog. Place the back of your hand on the pavement. If you can't hold it there for 5 seconds, its to hot to walk your dog!